Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Recipe for Gluten-free Peach Cobbler

In the months after we were first diagnosed with celiac disease, I made gluten-free breakfast foods for our family nearly every morning.  It worked out well, but I must admit that the last few years we have turned to mostly gluten-free cereal and an occasional breakfast of eggs or pancakes or waffles.  I have a wonderful friend that I exercise with several times each week.  She inspired me to try making a peach cobbler for breakfast.  I must admit that because of the baking time of 35 or 40 minutes, I kept putting off the idea due to  our busy mornings.  I finally decided to bake it as a dessert to go with our dinner.

My friend has the ability to cook and bake without measuring, and I am kind of a left-brained cook who measures everything. :)  Her recipe was a bit sketchy (2 eggs, and then add some sugar, flour, etc.)--and she makes it with regular flour.  So...I decided to give it a whirl and try making it gluten free.  I love the down-home cooking taste and I hope you will enjoy it, too--for breakfast or dessert.  The recipe might come in handy next summer when your kids have Scout Camp or Girls' Camp.  This recipe is for 8-12 people, so you may want to half the recipe.

Gluten-free Peach Cobbler

1/4 cup butter
1/2 cup gluten-free oatmeal
2 eggs
1 cup milk
1 cup sugar
3/4 cup rice flour
1/4 cup tapioca flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 large can peaches, drained
Half and half cream or milk

Step 1:  Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Put butter in 9 x 13 baking dish.  Place baking dish in oven.  Set timer for 2 minutes at a time, until butter is melted.  Remove baking dish.

Step 2:  Pour oatmeal into blender.  Pulse until oatmeal turns into fine crumbs.  Add eggs and milk.  Blend well.

Step 3:  Add sugar, rice flour, tapioca flour, baking powder, and salt to blender and mix well.

Step 4:  Pour mixture from blender into melted butter.  Do not stir.  Place peaches across batter.  Bake for 35-40 minutes.  Serve warm with half and half cream or milk.  Serves 8-12.

No comments:

Post a Comment