He loved the clam chowder, too. I served the clams separately by the spoonful after dishing up the soup, according to the taste preference of the kids. They called it "creamy potato soup" and we enjoyed the clams. :) I also used 2 cups of 1/2 and 1/2 cream and 2 cups of milk and it was a nice consistency.
Both recipes are in my cookbook. I hope you will try these recipes out.
1 can minced clams
1 cup onion, finely chopped
1 cup celery, finely chopped
2 cups red potatoes, chopped
1 cup butter
¾ cup brown rice flour
4 cups milk or ½ and ½ cream (or 3 cup almond milk + 1 cup soy milk)
1½ teaspoons salt
½ teaspoon sugar
¼ teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon gluten-free chicken bouillon powder
½ teaspoon crushed garlic
- Drain clam juice into water that barely covers the vegetables. Reserve clams until later.
- Simmer vegetables until tender. Do not drain.
- Make a white sauce by melting butter in a small saucepan and adding rice flour. Stir until combined and mixture begins to gently boil.
- Add milk (or cream or substitutes), salt, sugar, pepper, bouillon, and garlic. Stir over medium- high heat until thickened.
- Add cream sauce and clams to the vegetables and stir well.
Serves 7 to 8
Flavorful Baked Fish
1 tablespoon butter
1 small onion, cut in quarters and thinly sliced
4 fresh or frozen cod, haddock, or halibut fillets, thawed* (Tilapia is also delicious.)
1 teaspoon seasoned salt
1 teaspoon garlic salt
¼ teaspoon black pepper or lemon pepper
¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
¼ cup mayonnaise
1 tablespoon parsley or cilantro
1 tablespoon lemon juice or apple cider vinegar
¼ cup sliced almonds
1 tablespoon butter
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Sauté onion in the butter in a small frying pan.
- Spread onions across the bottom of a 9 x 13-inch glass baking dish. Arrange the fish over the onion and sprinkle with seasoned salt, garlic salt, and pepper.
- In a small bowl, combine Parmesan cheese, mayonnaise, parsley and lemon juice. Spread over fish. Bake uncovered for 10 minutes.
- While fish is baking, place almonds in small frying pan with 1 tablespoon of butter and stir until just starting to turn golden brown. Spread over the fish and bake for an additional 10 minutes or until fish flakes easily with a fork.