Friday, January 20, 2012

Interview with Barbara

I am delighted to post an interview I had with my sister-in-law, Barbara.  I have learned a lot from her.  I especially admire her desire to gain more knowledge about many different health subjects. 

Why are you on a gluten-free diet?

When my relatives started talking about their recent diagnosis of celiac disease and the need to eat gluten-free, and since I was also having some of the same symptoms, I decided to get the testing done to determine whether or not I had celiac disease.  I didn't, but I had gluten sensitivity.  

What was the next step in your journey?

One of my doctors told me that whole grains were much better for me and to eat lots of them.  Some of the doctors I saw said my diet didn't matter, but through trial and error and research, I realized that I felt better on a gluten-free diet.  Nevertheless, I ate gluten some of the time, and my weight kept climbing slowly. I am currently reading an interesting new book called, Wheat Belly, by William Davis, M.D.  He is a cardiologist, and he has found that a lot of his heart patients have had a struggle losing weight.  He had put them on the American Heart Association Diet, and the Diabetes Diet, or a whole-grain diet and his patients still didn't lose weight, but kept gaining.  The connection came that the weight gain was from eating whole grains, particularly wheat.

The doctor I am currently seeing also has sensitivities to gluten and some other grains.  She has helped me understand better how the body reacts to grains.  (See her blog at http://askdrjudi.blogspot.com/)

What are some of your favorite gluten-free blogs/web sites?

A Year of Slow Cooking, by Stephanie O-Dea (http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/)


What is one of your favorite restaurants that serves gluten-free food?

Dairy Keen, in Heber City, Utah.  They have fabulous gluten-free hamburger buns and a large gluten-free menu with sandwiches, gluten-free French fries, and ice cream.

What products have you tried that you have liked and disliked?

I like to use almond flour, which helps to keep my blood sugar more regular and works well for my dietary needs.  I tried Better Batter Gluten-free Flour, which I used to make cinnamon rolls.  I was disappointed with the results.  My husband wouldn't finish his cinnamon roll, because it was doughy and didn't taste very good.

What are your favorite recipes from my cookbook?

Pizza

Pumpkin Muffins (with chocolate chips)  (These are awesome and you can't tell they are GF)

Enchilada Soup (Very yummy)

Tasty Sweet Pork Mexican Salad


Thanks, Susan, for sharing all of your knowledge and information with everyone.

You are very welcome. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment