Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Review of Bumblebars, Shelf Reliance Food Storage Products

If you don't belong to a support group for people with celiac disease/gluten intolerance, I highly recommend joining.  My sister and I started a group in our area, and it has been a great experience.  It is valuable to share ideas about products and menu ideas for area restaurants that serve gluten-free food.  I like the feeling of knowing there is someone else out there who is willing to talk about what they are going through when it comes to our difficult--yet life-saving--gluten-free diet.

At our support group meeting a few days ago, we had a representative come from Shelf Reliance.  She said that their company has just received word that their separate facility is indeed gluten free, and they will be able to remove the cross-contamination statement on their label as soon as they receive their official certificate.  It is hard to know what to do about food storage, so I am excited to have some gluten-free options.  These products are freeze dried, and I was impressed with the quality and taste of their product.  I would rate their products at 8.5 out of 10.  I tried the corn, chicken, green beans, mango, pineapple, apples, strawberries (a bit sour, but good), strawberry yogurt (also on the sour side, but not too bad), and ice cream.  I am hoping to purchase a few of these products for our food storage supply and our 72-hour-kits.  I like the idea of having some form of meat in my kit, so I will likely purchase the chicken, along with a fruit and a vegetable.

http://www.shelfreliance.com/home

I received a nice e-mail from the Bumblebar company.  They sent us some free samples for our support group to taste.  These are made from sesame seeds and flax seeds.  My daughters didn't like them too much because of the main flavor of sesame seeds, but they are quite good and would taste great during an emergency.  I think I will add some of these to our 72-hour-kits as well.  I would rate them at 7 out of 10.



(Photo Source:  http://www.bumblebar.com/bumblebars.html )

No comments:

Post a Comment