When I got diagnosed with celiac disease and went on a gluten-free diet, I began to wish for breaded lemon chicken. Our local Chinese restaurant didn't have a gluten-free version of this, so I decided to experiment on a recipe for it.
I love lemon meringue pie, and I decided to try the lemon pudding from my mom's pie recipe on my gluten-free breaded chicken strips. EUREKA!! I think you will enjoy the taste combination, especially with fried rice (see recipe for fried rice in a previous blog entry.)
Chicken and Rice with Sweet Lemon Sauce
4 to 5 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
¼ cup cornstarch
2 tablespoons corn flour
2 tablespoons brown rice flour
2 tablespoons cooking oil
garlic salt, to taste
onion salt, to taste
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1/2 cup sugar
1 tablespoon brown rice flour
1/8 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons lemon juice
1½ cups water
- Begin preparations for fried rice.
- Partially thaw chicken breasts and slice into strips.
- Place cornstarch, corn flour, and brown rice flour in a plastic bag and mix together. Place chicken in the bag and shake to cover.
- Coat the bottom of a non-stick frying pan with cooking oil. Fry chicken in oil until brown and crispy and completely cooked. Add more oil, as needed. Add garlic salt and onion salt, to taste.
- To make sauce, combine cornstarch, sugar, brown rice flour, and salt. Add lemon juice and water and whisk until combined. Boil for 1 minute or until thick and clear.
- Pour sauce over prepared chicken and serve. Extra sauce is delicious served over the fried rice.
Serves 4 to 6