Friday, June 8, 2012

Recipe for Sensational Tomato Basil Soup; Review of Schar Snack Crackers and Pacific Foods Tomato Soup


Sensational Tomato Basil Soup

one 14½-ounce can stewed tomatoes (not Italian)
3½ cups milk
pinch of baking soda
3 tablespoons butter
¼ teaspoon garlic powder
½ teaspoon garlic salt
¼ teaspoon onion salt
½ teaspoon ground Italian seasoning
¼ teaspoon basil leaves
¼ teaspoon dry mustard powder
1 tablespoon sour cream
1 tablespoon cream cheese (or more)
salt and pepper to taste

1.      Purée stewed tomatoes in blender and pour into medium saucepan over medium heat.
2.      Microwave milk until it comes to a boil. Remove hot milk carefully with hot pads.
3.      Bring stewed tomatoes to a boil, and add a pinch of baking soda (this keeps the milk from curdling).
4.      Add  milk, butter, garlic powder, garlic salt, onion salt, Italian seasoning, basil, mustard powder, sour cream and cream cheese. Season with salt and pepper.

Serves 4 to 5


My mom had a huge hip revision surgery a few months ago.  My sister-in-law brought her some great gluten-free crackers for snacking between meals at the rehabilitation center.  My mom told me about these Schar crackers and we tried them.  As usual, gluten-free products are quite expensive--and these crackers are no exception--but they are delicious.  I would rate them at 9.5 out of 10.  They are my new favorite.  I especially love this type of cracker with the above recipe from my cookbook:  Sensational Tomato Basil Soup.  When I don't have time to make homemade soup, I like to buy Pacific Foods Tomato Soup, which is also gluten-free.  I would rate this soup at 10 out of 10.  It is smooth and perfect.

(Photo source:  www.schar.com)           (Photo source:  www.pacificfoods.com)



No comments:

Post a Comment