Friday, February 1, 2013

Yams with Pink Beans

My daughter-in-law found a great recipe on Pinterest that I modified a little bit. The recipe called for sweet potatoes and I used yams, because I like the flavor better.  It called for kale, and the grocery store was out of kale, so I used beet greens.  The beet greens turned the white beans to a delightful pink color.  I also didn't have marjoram, so I used thyme...although I think it would be better with dried oregano.  I didn't have any shallot, so I used green onions.  Whew!  I guess I modified the recipe more than a "little bit."  :)  We usually add butter, brown sugar, and marshmallows to our yams...so this recipe is a tasty, healthy way to get yams and greens on the table.  Give it a try.


Yams with Pink Beans
1-2 yams
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/4 cup green onions (with greens), chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 teaspoon thyme or dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 can cooked and drained white beans
1-2 cups beet greens, chopped
1 Tablespoon lemon juice
Salt and pepper, to taste
Preheat oven to 400°F.
Scrub yams and prick with a fork. Place on a baking sheet and bake until soft, about 45-55 minutes.
Add remaining ingredients to a frying pan and saute until beet greens soften.  Carefully remove skin from baked yams and dice yams.  Add to ingredients in frying pan and stir gently.  


No comments:

Post a Comment