Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Perfect Fluffy Frosting You Will Love; The Example of Two Amazing Ladies

Yum!  Don't you love a good frosting on a sugar cookie?  Last week my oldest daughter had fun making these cookies for Valentine's Day, arranging the cookies in a tin, and taking photos.  We all loved the cookies, too, and we all had to give ourselves a limit so we didn't eat too many in a day!





She decided to substitute raspberry flavoring for the almond flavoring in my frosting recipe.  I love either flavoring, but the raspberry flavoring was a fun change!  (This recipe can be found in my cookbook and in my blog post from 12/21/11).

When Valentine's Day was coming, I started thinking more about my husband and children...and also about a few of my friends who are going through some difficult times.  My youngest daughter made a cute origami puppy for each of them out of pink paper and decorated it with hearts to try to cheer them up.

One of the ladies found out recently that her husband lost his job.  I am so impressed with her attitude about it. With her permission, I am going to quote her text message from yesterday.  She wrote, "I have been through worse and things are always changing in life, so I just have to remember that it's a matter of time and it will be a different story."  There is an amazing level of strength in those words!

Just three houses away from her is the home of another friend.  She was the principal at the school when our sons were young.  She has since retired and she and her husband take care of their son who is in the advanced stages of Huntington's Disease.  When I told her how much her example of untiring care for him has meant to me, she said, "Susan, what other choice do we have?"

Both of these ladies could choose to have a bitter, anger-filled attitude.  Yet they go on with courage, despite the discouraging days, and continue to strengthen others.

Thomas S. Monson said, “We truly need Him every hour, whether they be hours of sunshine or of rain. May His promise ever be our watchword: ‘I will not fail thee, nor forsake thee’ (Joshua 1:5)” (“I Will Not Fail Thee, nor Forsake Thee,” October 2013).


No comments:

Post a Comment