Friday, August 5, 2011

Is all toothpaste gluten free?

I met a wonderful lady at my book signing last Saturday.  She shared a recipe with me for peanut butter oatmeal cookies and gave me a sample. They are delicious!  I hope to share the recipe with you in my next blog entry.

She also told me of something interesting that happened to her daughter who has celiac disease.  Her daughter had sores in her mouth when she used certain brands of toothpaste with tartar control.  They found out there was gluten in this type of toothpaste for some brands (which likely has changed since they called.)  They finally switched to Melaleuca toothpaste, and the sores went away.  I called Crest and also submitted a question on their website (see below) and they said that currently all of their toothpaste is gluten free.  They are unsure of whether some of their mouthwash is gluten free, however.

I then got curious about Colgate, so I submitted the question to their website (see below).  I am guessing it would be quite rare for their toothpaste to have gluten in it, but I was surprised that it was even a possibility. 

Does Crest toothpaste contain gluten?

Updated 03/09/2011 12:24 PM
No current Crest products contain gluten.  

http://www.crest.com/contact-crest.aspx

Does Colgate toothpaste contain gluten?

We certify that Colgate Cavity Protection Great Regular Flavor Toothpaste is gluten-free.

We do not intentionally add gluten to any of our other Colgate toothpaste varieties. Although we obtain our ingredients from reliable and trusted suppliers who maintain our high standards for safety, quality, and efficacy, we cannot guarantee that the ingredients used have not come in contact with any gluten.

http://www.colgate.com/app/Colgate/US/Corp/ContactUs/ConsumerAffairs.cvsp


No comments:

Post a Comment