Angel Food Cake
1½ cups powdered sugar
½ cup brown rice flour
¼ cup potato starch
1 teaspoon xanthan gum
¼ cup tapioca flour
1½ cups egg whites (about 12 egg whites)
1½ teaspoons cream of tartar
1 cup sugar
1½ teaspoons vanilla
½ teaspoon almond extract
¼ teaspoon salt
whipping cream, with 3 tablespoons powdered sugar added
- Heat oven to 375°F. Mix powdered sugar (not granulated sugar), rice flour, potato starch, xanthan gum, and tapioca flour in a plastic storage bag or mixing bowl. Set aside.
- Beat egg whites and cream of tartar in a separate 3-quart bowl on medium speed until foamy. Beat in sugar on high speed, ⅛ cup at a time, adding vanilla, almond extract, and salt with the last addition of sugar. Continue beating until stiff and glossy. Do not under beat.
- Sprinkle powdered sugar–flour mixture, ¼ cup at a time, over meringue, folding in with a rubber spatula until powdered sugar–flour mixture disappears. Spread batter into ungreased angel food cake pan. Cut gently through batter with knife.
- Bake until cracks on top of cake feel dry and top springs back when touched lightly, about 30 to 35 minutes. Invert pan on heatproof funnel (or a can of unopened food) until cool. Wash and slice strawberries.
- Whip the cream and add 3 tablespoons powdered sugar. Combine strawberries and whipped cream. Serve over cake.
Serves 6 to 8