Saturday, March 16, 2013

Delicious Quinoa Salad

My friend, Kristen, is such a considerate person.  At a potluck picnic for our church, she brought this gluten-free quinoa salad (see recipe below) so I would have something wonderful to eat.  At another dinner, she made homemade corn tortillas and brought them because she knew I wouldn't be able to have the flour tortillas.  I am amazed at the kindness of others and their desire to make sure those of us with food sensitivities feel included.

This recipe is just the flavor I love (though my husband added ranch dressing to smooth out the slightly tart taste due to the vinegar).  The recipe called for 1 1/2 T. cilantro, but I changed it to 1/2 cup because I LOVE cilantro. :)  I also want to try this recipe with shrimp added.

Another friend told me to try this idea for a delicious breakfast: serve quinoa warm with dates or raisins, Blueberry-flavored Craisins, cashews, and vanilla almond milk.  Yum!

I learned recently that it reduces the slightly bitter taste of quinoa to rinse it before cooking.  Cook the quinoa a few hours ahead so it can cool before making the salad.  Enjoy!

Delicious Quinoa Salad

2 1/2 cups water or chicken broth
1 cup quinoa
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1/4 cup diced yellow or red onion
3/4 cup diced carrots
1/2 cup diced yellow or green bell pepper
1/2 cup diced cucumber
3/4 cup diced fresh tomato
1/4 cup sliced green onions, with green tops
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup Italian dressing
Garlic salt, to taste

Step 1:  Rinse quinoa.  Bring 2 1/2 cups water or broth to a boil, along with 1/4 teaspoon black pepper.  Boil quinoa for 17-18 minutes, or until tender. Refrigerate quinoa until cold.

Step 2:  Heat olive oil in a frying pan.  Cook and stir the garlic and 1/4 cup yellow or red onion until tender.  Add to cooked quinoa, along with remaining ingredients.







No comments:

Post a Comment