Saturday, April 30, 2011

Quick Chicken Tortillas and Taco Salad

IMG_0567.JPG

I think you will love Quick Chicken Tortillas (see P. 104 of my cookbook).  I created this recipe to compare to an appetizer I used to get at Applebees before I went on a gluten-free diet.  When I made this recipe yesterday, I realized I only had about 2 teaspoons of ranch dressing in the fridge.  We go through homemade ranch pretty quickly.  :)  It is smooth and creamy--instead of the tangy kind from the store.  (For the ranch dressing recipe, see P. 65 of my cookbook.)

I needed to improvise, so I combined 1/2 cup sour cream with about 1 tablespoon milk (adjust according to how thick you want the dressing).  I added about 1/2 teaspoon gluten-free taco seasoning, and 1 tablespoon La Victoria Green Taco Sauce.  We all enjoyed it as a dressing for the Taco Salad and as a dip for the Quick Chicken Tortillas.  Enjoy!


Quick Chicken Tortillas

2 corn tortillas for each serving
chicken, cooked and cubed
bacon, cooked and crumbled
cheese, grated
onions, diced
cilantro, chopped without stems
canned green chilies
tomatoes, diced
salsa, fresh or canned
sour cream

  1. Butter one side of a tortilla per serving. Put butter side down in non-stick frying pan.
  2. Cover the tortilla with small portions of each of the other ingredients, except tomatoes, salsa, and sour cream.
  3. Butter one side of a second tortilla and place it, butter side up, on the covered tortilla in the pan. Lightly brown tortilla using medium heat until cheese melts. Turn over tortilla stack and brown the second buttered tortilla.
  4. Serve with tomatoes, salsa, and sour cream.

Tip  Warming the tortillas in the microwave keeps them from breaking up. This will help the butter to spread more easily.


No comments:

Post a Comment