Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Gluten-Free Food at Girls' Camp

Our 12-year-old daughter left for Girls' Camp today, pulling a cooler behind her.  Celiac disease does cause a few challenges.  Our strategy was to keep her food looking as similar as we could to what the other girls will be eating.  I bought some Udi's Cinnamon Raisin Gluten-Free Bagels for the morning the others eat bagels with gluten.  I made Marshmallow Treats (see P. 154 of my cookbook) with Cocoa Pebbles for the time the others eat regular Rice Krispy Treats (we like them better made with Cocoa Pebbles anyway).  I made Chocolate Chip Cookies (see P. 165 of my cookbook) for the time the others will be eating cookies.  You get the idea.  I think it will work out just fine.

Our 16-year-old son with celiac disease left today for a leadership retreat.  I asked him if he would like me to make pizza or get a Glutino Gluten-Free Pizza for him to bake.  He had the opposite response than our daughter.  He didn't want me to send any food with him that would be a gluten-free substitute for what the others would be eating.  He took four pumpkin muffins (see P. 32...you will love this moist recipe!), the other two bagels not needed by our daughter, and some fruit cups--and assured me that he wouldn't starve.  Whatever works.  :)

1 comment:

  1. Ashley is old enough to go to girl's camp? Oh my stars that is crazy!
    Those muffins are boss. Mom made some for me before she left for Hill Cumorah, and it was a very nice treat to have.

    erinsface.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete