Our Favorite Rolls
½ cup lukewarm water
2 teaspoons yeast
2 teaspoons sugar
¾ cup milk
½ cup buttermilk (or 1¼ cups soy or almond milk)
2 cups brown rice flour
1½ cups tapioca flour
⅛ cup sugar
2½ teaspoons xanthan gum
½ cup dried potato flakes
1 teaspoon salt
½ cup cooking oil or shortening
2 tablespoons butter
- Preheat oven to 170°F or warm setting.
- To make yeast mixture, pour lukewarm water into a small bowl, and sprinkle yeast and sugar across the top of the water. Set aside. (To be sure the water is not too hot, put a couple of drops on the inside of your wrist and be sure that it is lukewarm.)
- Microwave milk and buttermilk for about 1 minute, or until hot.
- Combine flours, sugar, xanthan gum, potato flakes, and salt in large bowl.
- Add yeast mixture, hot milk, oil, butter, and eggs into dry ingredients. Beat at high speed for 3 minutes. A heavy duty kitchen mixer is recommended.
- Spray muffin tins with cooking spray. Spoon dough into muffin tins, around ¾ full.
- Set muffin tray on open oven door to rise, with oven preheated to 150°F. Let rise for approximately 20 minutes for rapid rise yeast and 30 minutes for regular yeast.
- Place rolls in oven and turn heat up to 375°F. Bake for 20 to 24 minutes.
Makes 16 to 18 rolls
|Perhaps I should call them gluten-free roll muffins. :)|
|Gluten-free dough just doesn't work well for shaping a roll, so using a muffin tin is a great help.|
|Warm the milk in your microwave for about one minute.|
|Here I am at a cooking class and book signing. I am showing how to sprinkle the yeast and sugar across the top of the water.|
|I like working with a spoon and a rubber scraper to scoop the dough into the greased muffin tins.|
|The dough and the rolls won't look like the old gluten dough and rolls, but you will love the taste of these gluten-free rolls!|
|The roll recipe can be modified slightly to make a great pizza crust! Check out my next blog entry for the recipe.|
|I love signing cookbooks...people are so kind and supportive. Once they taste the rolls and pizza, it is hard to resist buying a cookbook! You will love these recipes!|